Monday, September 2, 2013

Salmon Salad Recipe

let's all pretend that it's no big deal to give up pasta.

I made a decision last weekend that in order to feel remotely comfortable putting on a bathing suit for the last (and first) time in NYC this summer I would have to cut out all delicious things for a week until Labor Day. This was a silly decision, made on a whim, and I didn't even make it a whole week. But none-the-less, I did get to try out a new great recipe that was tasty and healthy :-)

I've read about countless spice rubs before and always seem to opt for a wet marinade but I figured that most marinades would add unnecessary sugar. Instead I toasted some spices and ground them in my lovely (but often unused) mortar and pestle. 

My Spice Blend included:

  • Chinese Five Spice Powder
  • Fennel Seed
  • Black Sesame Seeds
  • Sea Salt
  • Crushed Red Pepper 
  • Dried Shallot
With a tablespoon of olive oil I rubbed the spices into the salmon and let it rest in the fridge for about an hour. Right before I was ready to sear it, I chopped a few peppers and tomatoes and made a quick salad dressing.



Last night’s five spice rubbed #salmon - #recipe on the blog tomorrow  Tomatoes are cheery little buggers!


Dressing: (all approximate measurements here)

1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive oil
1/4 cup Rice Vinegar
2 Tablespoon Chinkiang Black Vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
sea salt and fresh ground black papper, to taste


and voilĂ 

Dinner!


Five-spice rubbed #salmon salad with chinkiang vinegar dressing

2 comments:

  1. Looking spicy.. one of my favorite salad. it reminds me the New Orleans Bar and Grill lunch where I had a delicious salmon salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! It's super easy, you should give it a try!

      Delete