Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Growing Garlic

I am #growing #garlic “chives” in my #kitchen yay!


I know that this picture looks odd. What the hell are those green chutes popping out of the little glass jar? you may ask. That my friend, is living breathing garlic. Apparently when you stick a garlic clove in a little bit of water, roots suddenly appear overnight. And within another day or two, these fresh looking green stalks show up. This is really my first experiment at growing anything in my LES apartment (unless you count a Christmas Bush that I didn't water enough and promptly returned to it's original owner directly following the holiday) but so far - so good.


#homegrown #garlic “chives” ready to be #dinner


I trimmed my "first flush" last night to use with dinner. There really wasn't much there yet but I couldn't help myself. I had to know how they tasted. When eaten raw, they taste very subtly of garlic but they pack the same spicy punch. I decided to use them as a simple garnish for a fried rice dish that I was in the mood for.


Quick #sriracha #friedrice with #sausage and roasted #broccoli for #dinner - topped off with my #homegrown #garlic “chives”

With sausage, roasted broccoli, hoisin sauce, and sriracha, I would say that the garlic toppers paired very well :-)

Next I'm going to try the very same process - with onions! Yum!





No comments:

Post a Comment